Moving involves a lot of planning and forward thinking. When it comes to moving, many of us will scrupulously plan a move for months in advance. Clearing out, tidying, creating checklists, packing and the various other steps involved in moving are all part of the experience on the run up to the day of move.
Not only should you be prepared for your move, but you must ensure that the moving company you hire is reliable, professional and there to help you with all of your moving needs. With the right planning and help, a local move doesn’t need to be as stressful as a long distance or international move. However, it is still important to meticulously plan each stage of the moving process.
National Van Lines can help you throughout your moving process, from the first steps of planning through to the actual day of the move.
Where do I begin?
The easiest way to begin planning for a local move is to create a list of tasks. This list may include things like switching utility bill providers, arranging the delivery of moving boxes, packing, and even required cleaning. Creating a “To Do” List is a good starting point for any move.
We advise creating a checklist of all the important things you need to do before the day of the move, such as:
- Set a date for your move, so you have a goal.
- Conduct an inventory of your household items. You may want to discard any old items or ratty furniture that can be upgraded when you reach your destination.
- Store all important documentation safely, such as passports, birth certificates, insurance paperwork, etc.
- Set up your utilities such as gas, heating and even TV subscriptions – can you move these accounts to your new address, or will you need to cancel?
- Defrost the refrigerator and freezer one week to five days before your moving day, so it’s ready to be moved.
Organize Your Checklists
For an effective move, you should create a couple of checklists. One checklist may include items that need to be organized in the kitchen (sell, discard or pack); while another checklist may include all of the administrative related items you must complete before your move (changing utility bills, arranging a new vet for your pet, etc.). Too many things on one checklist can start to become overwhelming, and may confuse you during the moving process.
Create a Checklist for the Moving Company
Providing a detailed checklist for the moving company can be very helpful. This may include information such as:
- Your required packing materials for the big day
- What items you need help packing
- Where to place awkward or large items.
It’s important to have your checklists thoroughly prepared before the day of the move to elevate confusion between helpers and the tasks assigned.
You Can Rely on National Van Lines
National Van Lines has a range of moving services and options:
- We can help you with a residential move, or even a commercial move and everything in between.
- Not only do we assist in moves out of town, but we also offer a reliable international moving service.
- Do you have items that are too big or not needed right away? We offer safe and reliable storage solutions.
Speak To Us to Find Out More
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?