Packing Tips for an Organized Move
09.30.2013 | Moving Tips | Deidra Poltersdorf
Whether you’re moving across town, out of state, or out of the country, good planning and organization can alleviate a lot of stress. Hiring qualified residential movers like National Van Lines will ensure that your move is smooth, fast, and worry-free.
A big part of any move is packing. It’s important to allow enough time to get everything packed before a local mover arrives. Whether you take time off from work or pack things day-by-day, stay focused on the tasks and the time you have to complete them. Here are some helpful packing tips to get the job accomplished.
1. Sort Your Belongings
Take inventory of everything you own. Decide what items you want to keep and get rid of things you don’t want by having a garage sale or donating them to a local charity. There is no point in paying a local mover to move possessions you don’t want or need.
2. Organize Your Belongings
Group things into categories to make packing easier and faster. Group household items by room and personal items such as clothes, shoes, jewelry and toiletries separately. If you have a large family, helpful packing tips include personalization:
- Designate names on the boxes so they can be moved into appropriate rooms.
- Color code boxes and assign each family member a different color so each person can look for their color on the boxes.
3. Gather Moving Supplies
Visit a local mover that has sturdy, quality boxes in various sizes and get enough boxes to start packing. You may have to make several trips for additional boxes as things get packed. Pick up additional moving supplies like packing tape, bubble wrap, labels, markers and other items to make packing easier.
4. Start Packing
- Pack things that aren’t used or needed first.
- Use the right size box. Small boxes are best for heavy things like books.
- Don’t leave empty space in boxes so things will move. Pad spaces with newspaper or packing.
- Pack liquid toiletries and medications in leak-proof bags or containers.
- If boxes need to be kept in an upright position, label boxes with an up side.
5. Fragile and Valuable Items
Pack fragile items like china, crystal, and accessories carefully. Use moving supplies like bubble wrap to protect items from damage. Label boxes fragile on all sides. Valuable electronics like computers, printers, scanners, and cable boxes should be well padded for protection. Tape any loose cords to the equipment. Residential movers will pack your belongings for you, but there is a charge for the service.
Get the Packing Help You Need
By following helpful packing tips that keep your move organized, moving will be easier and less stressful. National Van Lines, a leader in residential movers, can help you with local, long distance and international moves. For more information, contact a local agent in your area.